Constitution of the Oakland County Treasurers' Association
The name of this organization shall be The Oakland County Treasurers‘ Association.
The purpose of this Association shall be to provide for discussion, education, and mutual exchange of ideas on tax administration and other matters related to the proper operation of the Office of Treasurer; to promote understanding and Cooperation among Treasurers of public funds and other public officials; and to encourage legislation which is in the best interest of tax-collecting officers and the public-at-large.
(1) VOTING MEMBERSHIP
The Oakland County Treasurer and any person appointed or elected as Treasurer or Deputy Treasurer of any Township, City or Village in the County of Oakland, State of Michigan, may become a member of the Association upon payment of annual dues. Each community represented shall be entitled to one Vote.
(2) COLLEAGUE MEMBERSHIP
Colleague memberships are available to employees of cities, townships, County who occupy positions included in or related to treasury functions. Colleague members will have no vote nor be eligible to hold office on the association executive board. The amount of for colleague members shall be determined in the same manner as dues for voting members.
(3) ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP
Associate memberships are available to members of organizations associated with or closely related to the Treasurer’s Office. Associate members will have NO vote.
(4) LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP
A LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP MAY BE GRANTED UPON THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:
(i) A WRITTEN REQUEST FOR NOMINATION TO LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE CURRENT PRESIDENT FROM AN ACTIVE MEMBER OR ASSOCIATE MEMBER.
(ii) THE PRESIDENT WILL REFER THE NOMINATION TO THE EXECUTIVE BOARD.
(iii) THE EXECUTIVE BOARD `WILL REVIEW THE NOMINATION AND REPORT THEIR DECISION TO THE MEMBERSHIP AT THE MEETING FOLLOWING THE RECEIPT OF NOMINATION. AT A MINIMUM, LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP MAY BE GRANTED TO AN ACTIVE MEMBER, COLLEAGUE MEMBER OR ASSOCIATE MEMBER IN GOOD STANDING WHO HAS BEEN A DUES PAYING MEMBER FOR NOT LESS THAN EIGHT (8) YEARS AND MEETS SUCH OTHER CRITERIA AS DETERMINED BY THE EXECUTIVE BOARD AND APPROVED BY MAJORITY VOTE OF THE MEMBERSHIP.
(iv) LIFETIME MEMBERS SHALL RECEIVE ALL PRIVILEGES OF MEMBERSHIP WITH THE EXCEPTION OF HOLDING ELECTED OFFICE, VOTING FOR ELECTED OFFICE AND ON MATTERS CONCERNING BYLAWS, MEMBERSHIP AND FINANCES .i LIFETIME MEMBERS ARE EXEMPT FROM PAYING ANNUAL LIFETIME MEMBERS WILL BE CONTACTED ANNUALLY TO DETERMINE THEIR INTEREST IN RECEIVING MONTHLY MEETING NOTICES.
Dues shall be set by the Executive Board subject to approval of two-thirds of the active voting members in attendance at the annual meeting. Dues shall be payable in advance. Any member delinquent in the payment of dues for six months shall lose his right to vote and may be suspended by the Executive Board.
(1) The governing body of the Association shall be called its Executive Board. It shall consist of the offices of President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and two members-at-large to be elected from, and by, the VOTING members. In addition, two additional directors shall be elected from the associate members of the association. These members shall serve one-year terms and be non-voting members of the Executive Board. Three voting members of the Executive Board shall constitute a quorum at any meeting of the Board.
(2) The Officers of the Association shall exercise the duties usually performed by such officers upon agreement of the Executive Board.
(3) The term of office of the officers shall be one year; an officer may be elected to succeed himself. At the first election the Executive Board member-at-large receiving the highest number of votes shall serve two years; the Executive Board member-at-large receiving the next highest number of votes shall serve one year, thereafter, the term of Office for Executive Board members-at-large shall be one year.
(4) In the event of a vacancy occurring in the position of an officer or other Executive Board member during the year, the remaining Board members shall fill the vacancy for the unexpired terms.
(5) The Executive Board shall be authorized to approve the payment of expenses incidental to the operation of the Association from Association funds.
(6) The fiscal year of the Association shall be from JANUARY 1 TO DECEMBER 31, BEGINNING JANUARY l, 1999.
(7) Each year, the books of the association shall be audited by a local auditing firm with their findings reported at a regular meeting.
Thirty (30) days prior to the Annual meeting the President shall appoint a Nominating Committee Consisting of three (3) active Voting members. The nominating committee shall present a slate of nominees at the annual meeting. Further nominations may be made from the floor. The election shall be conducted by secret ballot. The person receiving the highest number of votes shall be declared elected and shall take office immediately.
The annual meeting shall be held in the month of October of each calendar year. A regular meeting shall be held in February each year. Additional meetings may be held, as necessary, as determined by the Executive Board.
This Constitution may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the members present at either the annual, or the regular meeting, provided that notice of such amendments be given in writing to all members in good standing not less than thirty (30) days prior to such meeting.
Constitution amended October 22, 1980, October 26, 1990, October 27, 1995, October 20, 1998.